Let’s get these recipes up during September. I’m not at 50 yet, but I’m closing in. Let me know if you attempt it and if anything is wrong or confusing. These aren’t the final recipes… I don’t think…
- 4 c shredded cabbage
- 1/2 c Just Mayo (t) (or other sub)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp grated onion
- 1 Tbsp grated celery
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- spices as desired
- large bowl
- wooden spoon
- small bowl
- Like any other salad, make the dressing first in the small bowl. Mix together everything besides the cabbage, onion, and celery.
- Mix the cabbage, onion, and celery in the big bowl. Add dressing.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Must you make the dressing separate from the salad? No. Actually in this case, we make coleslaw then let it sit in the refrigerator for a day. Most salads will “die” in that time. Generally don’t add the dressing to a salad until time to serve. Coleslaw- and other salads that use cabbage as its base- do better if you let it sit in the dressing for a while.
- Just Mayo was the first non-mayonnaise I used for the recipe. It tastes on point. Sir Kensington’s Fabanaise is another one I use as a sub in. Anything that has the consistency of mayonnaise is the key.
- Don’t have anything that replace mayo? Take two tablespoon Egg Replacer, four tablespoons warm water, and four tablespoons oil and mix using a blender. It has no flavor, but it will work as a replacement for the mayo.
- What type of cabbage? Any. My favorite is the Nappa or Chinese cabbage. I have used green cabbage, mixed cabbage (green, purple, and carrots), and even the broccoli shred mix. Choose your favorite.
© Hartliebe 2019