Let’s get this recipes up during September. I’m not at 50 yet, but I’m closing in. Let me know if you attempt it and if anything is wrong or confusing. These aren’t the final recipes… I don’t think…
- 2 T ground Flaxseed
- 6 T warm water
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ t baking powder
- 1 t Baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup “butter”
- 1 cup sugar
- Oil spray
- 2 small mixing bowls
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 mixer
- 1 large spoon
- 2 8” or 9” cake pans or 1 9 by 11 pan.
- Enough parchment or wax paper to cover the bottom of the cake pans
- Wire cooling racks
- Using one of the small mixing balls, measure in two tablespoons ground flaxseed. Add six tablespoons of warm water. (I use the tap water set to hot.) Mix well. Let thicken several minutes.
- In the second bowl put the half a cup of cocoa and half a cup of boiling water. Mix well. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut out parchment paper to fit in bottom of cake pans. (This will allow you to remove cake easily after baking) Spray the pans with oil after fitting with parchment.
- In large bowl, beat butter. Add sugar. Beat until creamy. Add flaxseed slurry and beat again.
- Add rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy.
- If it is two 8 or 9 inch rounds, split the batter evenly between the two pans. If it is the 9 by 11 fill with all the batter.
- Spread the batter evenly. Let rest. (Gravity will help it even out if you let it rest.)
- Bake on center rack in oven for thirty minutes. Check if done by the toothpick trick. If a toothpick comes out clean (not gooey) the cake is done.
- Remove from oven. (Turn off oven.)
- Rest on cooling rack for several minutes. Remove from pans and let rest until room temperature before icing.
- You can make cupcakes. It yields between a dozen and two dozens depending on size of cupcakes. Use cupcake liners when baking.
- Oil spray is not absolutely needed. You can butter the pans or spread the oil yourself.
- For those who cannot have dairy, there are several options for butter replacement. Earth Balance has a no soy no dairy “butter”; some margarines taste the same as butter, but are all soy. Other replacements are shortenings such as palm or soy. Do not replace with a purely liquid oil or coconut oil.
© Hartliebe 2019